Relieving pregnancy discomfort through chiropractic care
During pregnancy, the human body goes through many changes to provide a baby with the best environment to grow healthy. As the baby grows, with an average weight gain of 25 to 35 pounds, the mother’s spine shifts and affects the musculoskeletal and nervous systems, causing discomfort.
Recent studies have shown that approximately 50% of pregnant women experience back pain during pregnancy, and 50% to 75% of women experience back pain during labor. Despite these numbers, only 21% of pregnant women with back pain seek their physician’s help.
The same studies show that 75% of pregnant patients who received chiropractic care during their pregnancies found relief from their pain.
Pregnant patients have recently been incorporated into chiropractic care to assure a comfortable pregnancy and to help facilitate uncomplicated labor and delivery. Pregnancy could be a more enjoyable experience with chiropractic care, especially during the third trimester.
How Can Chiropractic Care Help?
A chiropractor can detect and correct imbalances in the body that can contribute to possible neuromuscular issues that can cause discomfort.
During pregnancy, chiropractic care can also align the spine, joints, and ligaments to create better functioning and stability to relieve pain or discomfort. Additionally, it might help to decrease the intrauterine constraint, allowing the baby to move the head down and get ready for delivery. This process will ease and reduce the time of the labor process.
Chiropractic care can also help with controlling symptoms of nausea, relieving back, neck, or joint pain, and preventing a potential cesarean delivery.
When to start chiropractic care?
It is ideal to book an appointment a few months before getting pregnant while trying to conceive. To get an evaluation and alignment, in case it is necessary. However, chiropractic care can be initiated once the pregnancy is confirmed. It is important not to wait until discomfort or pain becomes chronic.
How often to receive chiropractic care?
Generally, the chiropractor will recommend at least one session per month during the first trimester and two times per month during the second and third trimesters. Pregnant women usually agree to receive chiropractic care at least once a week during the last month. These recommendations can change according to the doctor’s evaluation.
When to stop receiving chiropractic care?
According to the physician’s indications, chiropractic care can be provided to postpartum patients as recent research has shown that 77% of patients with moderate to severe pregnancy-related pelvic pain have persistently complained.
Additional Chiropractic Advice
In addition to chiropractic care and to avoid discomfort during pregnancy, chiropractors recommend:
- Exercise during pregnancy can help strengthen muscles and prevent discomfort. Activities like yoga, running, or dancing are ideal for pregnant women.
- Wear 3-4 cm heeled shoes to provide spinal support.
- Sleep 7 to 9 hours on one’s side with a pillow between the knees to take pressure off the lower back.
- Borggren, C. L. (2007). Pregnancy and chiropractic: a narrative review of the literature. Journal of Chiropractic Medicine, 6(2), 70–74. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcme.2007.04.004
- Chiropractic Advice for Pregnancy. (2022, May 26). ACA Hands Down Better. Retrieved June 7, 2022, from https://handsdownbetter.org/chiropractic-advice-for-pregnancy/
- Chiropractic Care During Pregnancy. (2022, May 31). American Pregnancy Association. Retrieved June 7, 2022, from https://americanpregnancy.org/healthy-pregnancy/pregnancy-health-wellness/chiropractic-care-during-pregnancy/
- Chiropractic Care During Pregnancy — What You Can Expect. (2021, October 12). Northeast Spine and Sports Medicine. Retrieved June 7, 2022, from https://www.northeastspineandsports.com/blog/chiropractic-care-during-pregnancy-what-you-can-expect/
- How Chiropractic Care Can Promote A Healthy Pregnancy. (n.d.). Henry Ford LiveWell. Retrieved June 7, 2022, from https://www.henryford.com/blog/2020/11/how-chiropractic-care-can-promote-healthy-pregnancy#:%7E:text=Chiropractic%20care%20can%20alleviate%20pain,four%20days%20after%20a%20session.
BY: Dr. Newman
Chiropractic In Miami, Family Health, Pain, Physical Therapy, Stress, Treatments
COMMENTS: No Comments