So, you were injured on the job? Is the Office of Workers’ Compensation Program (OWCP) is giving you a hard time with your claim. What to do? Your job has become difficult. Perhaps it is even impossible, because of your work injury. Still, you have to keep working to meet your financial responsibilities. It’s a classic catch-22, and your livelihood is at stake.

It’s possible that the OWCP isn’t accepting your claim just yet because the causal relationship between your duties and your work injury is difficult to see with the naked eye. This is the case with most back and joint pain. You know that it’s real! However, other people can only take your word for it. It’s at this point that you should realize that you need to contact a medical professional. They can help you establish a causal relationship between your work and your injury.

Does your workers’ compensation claim have the support it needs? Here are three ways your chiropractor can help and two things you can do to help your chiropractor:


First and foremost, your claim needs to be backed up by the opinion of a medical professional. Certain conditions, such as visible work injuries, can be verified by a family physician. On the other hand, special cases exist where a specialist is the best person to contact. For example, your chiropractor has the qualifications necessary to make the connection between your work injury and your back and joint pain. Without these credentials behind you, your case won’t go far.

Ability to Give an Expert Opinion

The medical professional supporting your case needs to be able to show causation between the work conditions that led to your injury and the resulting pain. On the medical report, your chosen doctor will have to describe clearly how he or she came to a diagnosis. (I.E what tests were used?) Then, using that information, he or she needs to show clearly how work factors led to your injury. With an intimate knowledge of how the musculoskeletal system operates, a chiropractor is your best bet when it comes to back and joint pain.

Knowledge of How Claims Work

Not all chiropractors regularly support work injury claims. Therefore, it’s important to find one that knows the many ins and outs of how workers’ compensation claims work. One small detail that can trip up your case is the kind of language your medical professional uses to explain your case. If your chiropractor’s medical report contains speculative or ambiguous words, such as could, might, or may, your claim could be denied. The OWCP requires a certain degree of certainty to be included in your medical professional’s written opinion. Even the slightest suggestion of uncertainty can derail your claim. Having a chiropractor who is familiar with these types of cases will increase your chances of compensation.

Familiarity with Your Work Injury

Even with a knowledgeable, certified doctor on your side, things can still go wrong. If you don’t know what your role in the process is. Here’s what you can do to help your chiropractor get your claim approved:

  • Share as much information about the injury and the events that led up to it with your chiropractor as you can. This includes your job duties, working conditions, and any other factors that might have contributed to your claim. One of the best ways to do this is to write down everything you can think of and then form a narrative out of your recollection of the events. Remember: what, where, when, and how are important questions to ask yourself.
  • Does your chiropractor have a good understanding of your medical history? If not, you need to provide him or her with documentation. The OWCP covers claims of any work injuries that exacerbate or cause the return of preexisting or underlying conditions. Giving your chiropractor the right information could help you win your case so that you can get the compensation you deserve.

The more familiar your chiropractor is with every aspect of your case, the more likely you will be to win your claim.

If you’ve been injured at work and now suffer from back or joint pain, don’t wait. Call or write to the offices of Dr. Mike Newman in Miami. He and his team are the medical professionals you need to support your work injury case.